Best Silicone Craft Mats– Top 10 List (Updated 2022)
Being creative is no easy feat. You put your blood, sweat, and tears into an art project, and finally, when everything is said and done, you end up spoiling your desk or your floors by spilling supplies, colors, and adhesives everywhere. No one knows this reality as well as a resin artist.
As beautiful as your artwork is, the clutter it leaves behind is not and the thought of cleaning it up can make anyone cringe. What is worse is that while some marks can be cleaned off, there are others that are stubborn and there to stay.
But don’t worry! You are not alone in this. Aside from surfaces, I have ruined tons of clothing, chinks of carpet, and embarrassingly I have been left with no other options besides cutting out big chunks of hair I somehow glued together with epoxy resin. Okay, I may be messier than most, and I have learned my lesson over time. I have purchased more than a few aprons, boxes of gloves and hair ties, which are all straightforward ways to avoid the incidents above. However, there are many different options for out there for protecting you work surfaces, and it is hard to decipher what will work best for messy crafts like resin art.
If you are clueless as to how you can escape the laborious task of cleaning up the after-effects of you or your kid’s passionate art session, we have got just the thing for you. The solution to your post-creativity mess lies in buying a durable silicone craft mat. Silicone is not only a heat resistant, miracle material, making it the perfect surface for every kind of craft you can think of, but has the amazing quality of being resin repellant. This means, resin will not stick to your silicone craft mat.
It is as easy as laying out your silicone craft mat, completing your resin project, waiting for the resin to dry, (or cure) and then peeling the resin off the mat. Simple and easy! Seriously, all you do is let your resin dry after your crafting session and, voila, it peels right off the mat! Aside from being the perfect material for resi
n artist to work on, silicone craft mats protect against most other types of spills that may happen on an artist’s workspace, so you can avoid those stubborn, hard-to-remove marks.
Let us show you how this inexpensive and simple crafting tool is a must in your art room.
Factors to Consider When Buying Silicone Craft Mats
A good craft mat has to possess a few qualities that make it rank in the top 10. There are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a good silicone arts and crafts mat. The craft mat should be:
- Good quality and durable
- Reasonably priced
- Easy to clean
- The larger the better
How We Rate the Best Silicone Mats – The Scale of Silicone Spoons
To rate our silicone mats’ performance, we will rate them on our Scale of Silicone Spoons with one silicone spoon being a low score and five silicone spoons being the highest.
You will find our Silicone Spoon chart under each mat’s heading, rating the product on factors like durability, affordability, and size.
Here is what the Silicone Spoon table looks like:
Products that receive all five silicone spoons in each ranking category, will receive a Gold Leafed Spoon Award. These are the top-rated products, most of which we use ourselves and love, love, LOVE!
Here is what our Gold Leafed Spoon Award looks like:
Gold Leafed Spoon Award
How to Make Our ‘Best Of’ List
Our list of Top 10 silicone craft mats consists of products that meet and exceed all of the below-mentioned qualities:
Good Quality and Durable
One of the main reasons why silicone mats are worth investing in is their reusability. Silicone mats are a great way to minimize waste in the environment and for this reason, it is important to get one that is quality-made and durable.
Buying a durable mat is also going to benefit you financially in the long run. You will save more as a result of the mat’s longevity instead of wasting your hard-earned money on numerous bad-quality ones. All silicone craft mats included in our list are top-quality and will last you and your family through countless art projects.
When it comes to nonstick surfaces, there is nothing that beats silicone. It is the ultimate nonstick workspace for your arts and crafts needs. Even the stickiest of resins and adhesives are not going to faze your silicone mat.
All the recommended silicone craft mats in our lists are nonstick masters! You will not have to deal with the annoyance of peeling off bits and pieces of product stubbornly stuck to the surface. Which brings us to our next point: cleaning it.
Easy to Clean
If like us, you hate cleaning, silicone mats are going to be your best friend.
The ease with which you can clean a silicone mat is just one of its many great benefits. You won’t have to waste your time and energy laboring away on cleaning up your house. Thanks to their nonstick surface and durable material, the silicone craft mats we have mentioned in our list are going to make cleaning a piece of cake for you.
Reasonably Priced and Affordable
You do not have to make a huge dent in your savings to get an affordable and yet good-quality silicone craft surface.
This is not to say that you should go ahead and buy a cheap product that lasts you a couple of uses until it gives up on you. We recommend not to go for products that are priced extremely low as they may lack in quality. However, the list we have curated offers you the best of silicone mats while still being relatively reasonable in their pricing.
If pricing is important for you, a good practice is to be on the lookout for a sale and get a good quality silicone mat for cheaper at a discounted price.
Size of the Silicone Mat – The Bigger, the Better
When it comes to looking for the best silicone mat for yourself, bigger is almost always better except in cases where you need your silicone mat for only one specific purpose.
A large-sized silicone mat will have a much more diverse functionality than a smaller-sized one. A bigger silicone mat can be used for a multitude of activities ranging from your kids’ general play area to their art projects. Its size makes it an all-in-one product and that earns it extra brownie points.
But if an oversized silicone mat is not your thing, our list includes smaller mats as well to fulfill your specific needs.
Top 10 List of Best of Silicone Crafts Mats
LEOBRO Large Silicone Sheet for Resin Jewelry Craft
The LEOBRO large silicone mat checks all the right boxes for us and therefore, scores an all-star 5 silicone spoon rating. This is one of the best silicone mats you can buy that will exceed all your expectations.
- Includes 2 silicone mats about 15.7 x 11.7 inches in dimensions.
- Comes in two different colors: Blue and Rose Red.
- Has a rating of 4.7 stars on Amazon with over 13,000 reviews.
- The size makes it large enough to avoid spillover and catch most of your mess during a DIY art session but not too big that it gets hard to store.
- The silicone material allows it to stick well to the surface to avoid slipping which makes it non-skid.
- It is great for resin projects as the resin peels off easily after it dries, making it non-stick and ideal for an easy-up after your DIY arts and crafts projects.
- It is not too high on the price scale.
- It is made with high-quality silicone that is odorless.
Where to Buy
- This Gartful silicone mat comes in an extra-large size of 31.5 x 23.6 inches and weighs 2 pounds.
- It has a rating of 4.7 stars on Amazon with almost 3000 reviews.
- The extra-large size helps avoid overcrowding of the workspace. It also helps save paint and cut down waste, and avoids glues and adhesives from getting all over the place.
- It performs exceptionally well for acrylic pouring and painting because once the paint dries, it can be peeled off without leaving a trace.
- It uses heat-insulated pads to prevent your table or floor from greasing.
- The thickness of this mat is around 0.8mm which contributes to its durability significantly.
- It is non-stick which makes it great for adhesives and resins that slide off when hardened. This factor also makes it an easy clean-up.
Where to Buy
Aechy Silicone Mat For Resin
The Aechy silicone mat is perfect for resin crafters. It is great for beginners who are just starting out with epoxy resin.
- This silicone resin mat boasts an impressive 36in by 24 in. It also comes in 28in by 20in.
- The Aechy silicone mat is .8 inches thick, making it very durable!
- The silicone mat is heat resistant mat making it an ideal craft mat for table protection
- Our favorite feature of this silicone mat is it is easy to cut so you can fit it to your table or cut it down to small sizes for use with curing UV resin pieces away from your main workspace.
- It comes in multiple different colors.
- One of the color options is translucent which is great for curing UV resin projects that have trouble absorbing UV light when blocked by colored silicone.
- The mat is pricier than others on the list, but its sheer size means you could cut it into as many mats as you want in whatever sizes you need! This means you are receiving terrific value for your money.
Where to Buy
Gartful 2 Pack Oversize Silicone Craft Mats for Resin Molds
- This product comes in a pack of 2 oversized silicone craft mats.
- It comes in the size 27.6” x 19.7”, earning it extra points on the size scale. The large size also means more room for adhesives, resin casting molds, DIY painting, and other crafts. This avoids over spilling and protects your countertop against water, stains, discolorations, and scratches.
- It is easily foldable which makes it great for storing as it does not take up a lot of space.
- The price is cheaper than its competitors making it a product well worth the money.
- Once dry, the acrylic paints and resin peels off fairly well due to its non-stick material. This makes the mat easily cleanable with only some soap and water required for the clean-up.
- Also comes in a transparent style which helps if you have a measuring grid underneath it.
Where to Buy
Super Kitchen Extra Large Silicone Mat
- This mat is extra large in size (28” x 20”) with three beautiful colors: Blue, Grey, and Red.
- It is made with premium food-grade silicone which is an important factor to consider if you plan on using it for kitchen-related purposes.
- This silicone mat comes with measurements on the mat itself so you won’t have to buy a separate mat for your measuring needs.
- The thickness (1mm) allows for the mat to lay flat and not fold up around the corners. This also stops it from wrinkling, further adding to its durability.
- The mat is also non-stick and can even be cleaned with a wet cloth dipped in soap or in the dishwasher.
- This silicone mat is made with a non-skid backside due to which it stays stable on the workspace allowing you to work with confidence.
Where to Buy
KPKitchen XXL Size Silicone Mat
- As evident by the name, this mat fares well on our size scale. It is an XXL-sized silicone mat with the dimensions being 23.5” x 31.5” giving you plenty of room to work with.
- It is rated 4.8 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- The mat also comes with a 3-year warranty which means you won’t have to be stuck with a product with compromised quality.
- The KPKitchen silicone mat earns bonus points for its great measurement chart. It comes in various measurement markings in the form of circles along with a conversion chart to convert metric to imperial in weight and cups. This is especially useful in the kitchen because you no longer have to eyeball your recipes by having this measurement chart handy.
- This mat is made while keeping your health and wellness in mind. Which is why, it is produced from food-grade silicone that is safe to use in the kitchen and for painting and resin crafts.
- The silicone material on this one is just the right amount of non-stick. It is tacky enough to stay on your countertop – which makes it skid-proof – and yet is not overly sticky.
- The cleanup is a breeze because this product is also dishwasher safe.
Where to Buy
HomeDo Waterproof Silicone Mats
- This multipurpose HomeDo product comes in a pack of 4 waterproof silicone mats.
- It comes in 5 colors along with one transparent mat. The colors are vibrant and beautiful which makes for a minimal yet stylish placemat to add to your table.
- What makes this silicone mat even better is that its material is environment friendly and the silicone is high-quality food-grade material.
- With more than 600 ratings on Amazon, this silicone mat scores an impressive 4.5 stars out of 5.
- Unfortunately, the mat is not heat resistant like most other mats on this list but it makes up for that in durability. It is 1mm thick extremely flexible and sturdy, making it convenient to work with.
- The clean-up is excellent as it can be wiped clean with just a wet washcloth and nothing more.
- The non-skid quality of this mat makes it grip to surfaces really well.
Where to Buy
Harlue Jumbo Silicone Mat
- The Harlue Jumbo silicone mat rates 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Clean-up is easy as the resin wipes right off and the mat is as good as new again.
- With a size of 36” by 24”, this mat is as big as they come.
- It scores well on the affordability scale as you get a quality product with a smooth material made from silicone and fiberglass. This property coupled with the thickness of the mat makes it extremely durable.
- It is great for craft hobbyists because of its non-stick surface. It does not hold onto any glue residue or paint. The mat is made with woven fibers.
- Its grippy texture makes it skid-proof for you to comfortably work on.
- The mat is also temperature resistant and can tolerate temperatures up to -40 F to 450 F.
Where to Buy
Gartful Silicone Mats for Kitchen Counter
- If you want a color variety in your silicone mats, look no more. Gartful has got you covered. This mat is available in 9 different colors along with one translucent option.
- The mat is also heat-resistant which adds to its functionality and versatility.
- With over 350 ratings, the mat rates high in Amazon ratings with 4.5 out of 5 stars.
- The silicone material does not crease or create air bubbles on its sticky side. However, people did report its sticky side being ‘too sticky’ which makes it catch on to dirt. For this, the mat loses some points on our non-stick scale.
- Although fairly big in size (25″x 17″), the mat is easily foldable and does not take up much storage space.
- As with all other Gartful mats, this one performs extremely well on ease of clean-up on the non-stick side. All you need is a damp cloth and you are good to go. However, as mentioned earlier, the sticky side tends to hold on to dirt and has been pointed out to be a little hard to clean.
- The fact that its sticky side is extra-sticky does act in the mat’s favor too. It makes the mat extremely skid-proof and protects your work surface from scratches and dents.
Where to Buy
Bettli Store Extra Large Silicone Mat
- This Bettli silicone crafts mat comes in a vibrant red color which makes it an attractive addition in any part of your home.
- It is one of the biggest mats on this list with a size of 35.6*23.6 inches which makes it big enough for not just 1, but 2-3 kids to play and make a mess on.
- The mat has multiple uses all the way from resin casting molds and paintings to baking mats and placemats. It does all this while bringing a beautiful aesthetic to your home with its rich color.
- It is heat-resistant so you can place all the hot pots and pans on it that your heart desires and it won’t mind.
- It is made from high-quality, food-grade silicone that does not carry any odd smell as most silicone products tend to do.
- Due to its durable material, the Bettli silicone mat does not crease upon folding, making it optimal for convenient storage.
Where to Buy
We would love to hear how these mats work for you! Please leave us a comment below. If you have any questions about any of the products on our list, please do not hesitate to leave a comment. Also, check out our tutorials for inspiration for your next resin art project!
Thanks for this well written and very informative article here. Once again, I have to say that this has been not onlyb a very interesting read, but also a very exiting and inspiring read. I have been reading quite a few of your posts on this topic and each time i get closer to actually trying this out. Thanks again.
Thanks, bud! I really hope you do try it someday soon! I bet you can make something really neat. I saw your site the other day, btw and left you a message! Nice to unofficially make your acquaintance! I appreciate all your support. Have a great evening!
Some great advice. I am definitely going to try the silicone mats next time. I have been buying plastic and although it does a good job of protecting the surfaces, it slips around like crazy and is very hard to get clean. It also gets cuts in it very easily and I often get splinters from these cuts.
Does silicone get cuts in it easily as judging by the picture, it looks quite soft? I am looking for something to use a kraft knife on.
Silicone is much stronger than plastic so it will work better. However, if you want something really good for cutting, you should look into purchasing a Cricut Craft Cutting Mat. It is a bit pricier but totally worth it because it will not get ruined if you cut with pressure on it. It really is a fantastic product and worth the extra few bucks. Hope this helpos!